Combined BA/MA in Sociology
The Department of Sociology offers a combined degree option for undergraduate majors who would like to continue their education in the field. The program enables students to earn both a Bachelor's degree in Sociology and Master's degree in Sociology within five years by counting some coursework toward both degrees.
Students who are admitted to the program are able to take graduate courses during their senior year, and 9 credits will count toward both the BA and MA degrees. This allows for a considerable cost and time savings, and also helps our department retain and further our engagement with our best students.
Students interested in matriculating into the 5-year BA/MA program:
- must have an overall GPA of 3.40 or better at the time of application;
- must have a GPA of 3.50 or better in the major at the time of application;
- must apply to the graduate portion of the program no later than April 1st of the junior year after completing at least 60 undergraduate credits;
- must complete both an application form for the dual-degree program and the formal application for graduate admission;
- The application includes the applicant's statement-of-interest in the program, a writing sample, three letters of recommendation, and full transcripts of all undergraduate coursework.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members are required. At least two of these letters must come from faculty in the Sociology Department at GW. Letters from Teaching Assistants are not acceptable.
- Applicants are not required to submit GRE scores.
- Students apply to CCAS but need not pay the application fee for the MA.
- Students should submit all application materials to the Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Sociology, not to CCAS.
- must earn a "B" or better in all graduate courses;
- must complete a thesis as required of all MA students in Sociology;
- will be informed of acceptance into the program in late spring of their junior year.
Click here for a downloadable outline of the BA/MA Sociology program. Students interested in applying for the combined degree program in Sociology should see Professor Ivy Ken, Director of the Graduate Program in Sociology, for more details (firstname.lastname@example.org; Phillips Hall 409H).